A healthy twist on the classic pie
We get it, winter calls for cosy nights on the couch with comfort food in hand so, we’ve put a healthy twist on one of our favourite pie recipes to boost its ‘health’ status.
How we did it:
We took this Family Pasta Bake recipe and swapped out a few ingredients while also adding in a few too.
- Baking dish for 5-6 individual ramekins – helps keep portion sizes within a healthy range, meaning nobody eats the lunch leftovers.
- 1 x 400g can condensed tomato or similar style soup for 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes – reduces sugar intake.
- ½ cup pizza paste for ½ cup low sodium tomato paste – using low sodium products means this recipe is perfect for all members of the family, even very little ones.
- Pasta topping for mashed potato and kumara.
- 2 grated carrots – adding extra types of veggies helps to meet daily targets.
- 250g chopped mushrooms – adds extra fibre, vitamins and minerals.